At Blue Moon Retreat, we invite you to relax, reconnect and rejuvenate at our small cottage resort exclusively for adults (16+ accompanied by parents).
Our four comfortably appointed cottages are nestled in almost 12 acres of mostly forested land around peaceful and largely undeveloped Purdy Lake. Enjoy 800 ft feet of shoreline and unspoilt views of the lake where a pair of loons nest on the island in the centre; their mournful melodies are music for the soul.
Our spotless cottages in Ontario’s beautiful wilderness, all outfitted with cozy decor and all the luxuries of modern life, have our guests returning year after year.
Quiet, well-behaved pets are not only welcome but encouraged!
Whatever time of year, you will find lots to do around the resort or in the surrounding areas. Enjoy the beautiful sunsets over Purdy Lake, star gazing, bird watching and toasting marshmallows around your own campfire, stocked with firewood.
- Soak up the sun on the lake shore loungers or on your private deck
- Swim in the clear waters of Purdy Lake
- Go for a paddle and enjoy complimentary use of canoes, kayaks & row boats (life jackets provided)
- Fish for lake trout, bass, pike and pickerel on the lake or right off the dock
- Tennis, volleyball, horseshoes, badminton & basketball available on-site
- Stroll through the nature trail around the property or enjoy local trails
- Hike to a waterfall at Egan Chutes Provincial Park
- Catch a glimpse of the local wildlife
- Explore local villages and find a treasure at charming country stores and antique shops
- Stock up on locally grown produce at farmers markets and fruit stands
- Enjoy a cold beer at Bancroft Brewing Co.
- Meet local artisans along the Hastings County Arts Route
- Go underground and explore the wonders of Bonnechere Caves. Underground dining and concert series available on select dates.
- Peruse rock and fossil exhibits or shop for one-of-a-kind jewellery and art pieces at Bancroft’s Rockhound Gemboree July 30 – August 2nd 2020 or at Princess Sodalite Mine Rock Shop
- Ice fish for lake trout, just steps from your cottage on Purdy Lake
- Snowmobilers will find ready access to picturesque groomed trails abundant with snow
- Guided snowmobile tours available through Highland Wilderness Tours
- Listen to the snow crunch under your feet as you snowshoe around the property (snowshoes offered complimentary) or at one of the local conservation areas and parks with non-motorized trails perfect for exploring the winter landscapes
- Guided dog-sled tours available through Highland WIlderness Tours
- Get geared up at a local outfitters and enjoy cross-country ski trails
- Watch ice climbers scale the cliffs of Diamond Lake or enjoy ice carving demos and bonfires at the Southern Ontario Ice Festival February 7-9 2020
- Take a scenic drive and enjoy the stunning Fall foliage
- Visits artists and artisans in their studios during the Bancroft & Area Autumn Studio Tour September 19 & 20 and 26 & 27, 2020
- Experience the excitement of the Tall Pines Rally
- Stroll through our little nature trail around the property or enjoy local hiking trails including Gun Mountain Trail, Lake St. Peter, Bancroft Eagles Nest Park and of course Algonquin Park
- Explore a ghost town
- Search for signs of spring around the property’s nature trail or enjoy local hiking trails including Gun Mountain Trail, Lake St. Peter, Bancroft Eagles Nest Park and of course Algonquin Park
- March & April is the prime time to experience Maple Syrup season at a sugar bush
- Experience authentic small town charm and explore the local villages
- Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day at the Arlington Pub
Combermere (7 minutes away)
CO Country Market stocks all of your essentials including LCBO Convenience, Kawartha Dairy ice cream, and deli
Old School Cafe, Laundry & Green House offers a delicious breakfast as well as fresh made baked goods, soups and chilli all year round and food truck and ice cream hut in the Summer months
Heartwood Restaurant, open all year round, offers a delicious range of lunch and dinner options cooked from scratch. Check their social media for live entertainment dates
The Bent Anchor is open June – September. Enjoy craft cocktails, cold beer, house smoked meats and chill vibes at this beach bar overlooking the Madawaska River
Post Office & Home Hardware building centre
Maple Leaf (8 minutes away)
Maple Leaf Country Store & Gas Station stocks all of your essentials including LCBO Convenience, hardware and ladies clothing
Maynooth (14 minutes away)
LCBO & Post Office
This cute little village is an antique lovers delight. You could spend all day perusing the country stores, antique stores and art shops and are sure to take home a treasure
The Arlington Pub attracts music lovers from far and wide on Friday and Saturday nights for its great line-up of live music every Friday and Saturday night
Barry’ Bay (20 minutes away)
Metro & ValueMart Supermarkets, Homehardware, Tim Hortons & several dining options
Be sure to stop by Madawaska Coffee Co. and try their Maple Roast. All beans are hand-selected and small-batch roasted on-site
No trip to Barry’s Bay is complete without a visit to Grumblin’ Grannys which offers unique products from every corner of the globe
Bancroft (30 minutes away)
Foodland & No Frills Supermarkets, Home Hardware and Canadian Tire, Dollarama, LCBO and variety of dining options
Bancroft Brewing Co. offer unique, handcrafted beers brewed on-site
York River Meats has a great selection for all of your BBQ needs and Landis Outdoor Market provides quality local fruit and vegetables
Beautiful gifts and homeware are available at The Old Tin Shed, and Westwind Gallery Gallery & Gifts